Monday, December 14, 2015

Week 17 Black Magic Saliva

*Moment of silence for the passing of Elder De Jesus*

Elder Kelvin De Jesus Figueroa
December 2013-December 2015
Son, brother, father, companion, trainer, friend.
´´De modo que los que creen en Dios pueden tener la firme esperanza de un mundo mejor, sí, aun un lugar a la diestra de Dios; y esta esperanza viene por la fe, proporciona un ancla a las almas de los hombres y los hace seguros y firmes, abundando siempre en buenas obras, siendo impulsados a glorificar a Dios.´´ Éter 12:4

And a warm welcome to Elder Ávila, my new companion, from El Salvador. He has 11 months in the mission, and just got moved up to DL, so he and I will be visiting other areas, so I might have some more pictures coming up from different places.

This week on Tuesday we left for Choluteca, where I stayed after dropping off Elder De Jesus, on Wednesday, Elder Ávila come to Choluteca, and we stayed in the house of two missionaries, Elder Clark and his comp, I don´t know his name, he just got here. My favorite thing about Elder Ávila... is that when he arrived, the first thing he asked me, was if I liked Chess. We played, and currently the score is 2-0. I´ve won two, and he has yet to win. I like Chess. But not as much as I like preaching the Gospel.

Since Thursday, he and I have gone to work. In the past couple of days, we have gotten 9 new investigators as well as 3 new familes. Also the familia Sanchez has commenced their work to get married.

In Elder Ávila´s first area, he was comp to the DL and actually visited Orocuina for a baptismal interview. But the girl no longer attends church, so we went to go find her. We found her on Sunday afternoon in a backwoods part of Apacilagua. We met her family and the were very warm and welcoming... A bit too welcoming. The father of the house carried his baby daughter out to meet us and she began to cry a little bit. So he lifted up the back of her shirt and told us to lick our fingers and rub our spit on her back. I thought I misunderstood so I asked Elder Ávila what he meant, and he said that he didn´t understand either. So I asked if we were going to get the baby dirty, and the father said, (in spanish) ´´No, we´re all children of God.´´

... long story short, I wrote my name on her back. Will keep in contact if any black magic happens. She stopped crying though.

This week that comes, the week of Christmas, we won´t have Pday on Monday, but rather on the 24th. I have no information on the Skype call or anything either... So that´s a problem, but I´m sure it´ll all be sorted out. Ojalá.

Something you learn as a missionary, is that you can do a lot more than you thought you could. You just have to live without fear or embarressment. I´ve never had experience as a counselor to a branch president, or as a clerk/secretary, Sunday School, Primary, Seminary, or English Teacher. I´ve never really taught in the Church before the mission, and only gave 3 or 4 talks, including my farewells, yet here I am, doing each one of those things every week. Everyone has potential. Don´t be afraid to give a talk or teach a class, or share a spiritual thought. If I can do it, anyone can. A cheesy phrase that helps a lot of missionaries is this. I´m a child of God, and I fear no man.

Z.L. said 25th is the Skype Call as usual.




No comments:

Post a Comment