Monday, October 12, 2015

Week 8

Fairly sure this is week 8, but who knows. It feels like day 8. I don't feel like I have been in the mission for very long. I read that Eryn went to a waterfall, and I was like "Oh tight, me too." Until her video finally downloaded... Then I realized she went to a REAL waterfall and I went to a 99 cent squirt toy. Speaking of loading. This computer place I am at took 15 minutes for me to open my email. 15! So if nothing sends?... well I won't be surprised! But it's a good in the Hood...uras. Puns.

I am not especially in the mood to give a play by play of the week. Mostly because I'm sure it won't be as interesting as my other emails. I understand the implication of my decision. No one is going to write me because of my boring email. WRONG. Since I don't want to say, this day we did this, and that day no one wanted to listen to us. I will tell you the craziest thing that happened to me thus far.

IT ALL BEGAN ON A TUESDAY. Elder De Jesus and I had our appointment to go teach Jose Angel who lives in a different town. I BEGAN THE WALK EXPECTING A NORMAL AFTERNOON. NEVERTHELESS I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS DAY. We walked... and walked... for an hour and a half to Jose's house. We enter and talk, and they offer us dinner. They served us Garobo... If you don't know what Garobo is... google it... If you are too lazy to google it... It's more or less an iguana... And it was delicious to be honest with you, I wouldn't mind having it again. People just kill Garobos in the streets with slingshots. No I'm serious. People just walked out and hit them with rocks and kill them and take 'em home. Kids have competitions to kill Garobo. AND THUS IT SEEMED A NORMAL VISIT. And then the grandma comes in and asks us to give the grandpa a blessing.

We accepted and enterred the room, inside was the Grandpa with a cloth over his foot. Elder De Jesus asked what was wrong, and the Grandma explained something I couldn't understand about what was wrong with the foot. Then she removed the cloth. The inside part/side of his big toe, and his big toe were missing. Half of his foot was gone, and heavily infected. We gave our blessing and the thanked us and left.

We walked most of the way back to town, but on our way was the house of our investigator, Milton, whom we frequently visit. We call out to their house from the gate to talk with them and the call us to the backyard. In the backyard was the family surrounding 3 pigs. A really big one that was laying on its side breathing hard, and two babies feeding. Again, Elder De Jesus asked what'd happened because we could see a fair amount of blood.

A passerby in the street took it upon himself to shoot the pig twice. They then decided that they shoot put it out of its misery. Three of the sons held the mom down and got on top of it, and it began to scream. Like scary scream. The two babies got really excited and the daughter of the house kept them away. Then one of the 3 sons goes and grabs a knife...

WOW. I just realized kids could be reading this. SORRRY. But I don't have time to start over and write a happy story... Anyway... the pig didn't die for quite some time, and I've never seen more blood. It was really kind of sad to watch. But anyway.

On a happy note I had my first baptism on Saturday. Her name is Carin, she's 22, and I baptized her in CombalĂ­. She's really smart, like crazy smart. And asks about everything we teach and I'm not educated in spanish so basically Elder De Jesus talks to her because I don't understand half the time.

On another happy note, on Sundays I bless the sacrament, teach the teenagers the next hour and I TEACH PRIMARY the final hour. It's super cool. Also I am the branch secretary and I do the tithing. Probably cause no one else knows how to use the computer. It's pretty crazy on Sundays. Most of the branch are teenagers so my class is HUGE. Most of them live in Apacilagua, a little town up in the mountain from Orocuina. It's our favorite part of the Area. Everyone there is... excellent. Well. Party on, Wayne.




No comments:

Post a Comment